Here are the steps I am taking to move a fairly normal FL7.3 box to FC5.
- Shut down all services
- Disconnect from network
- Run total backup to alternative drive
- Use mysqldump to backup all mysql databases to text files (just in case)
- Dump Mailman mailing list subscriptions to text files.
- Boot from FC5 install media, tell it to update
- Reboot (In my case, reboot using FC5 rescue mode and update grub and kernel images on boot HD to match the new ones on live HD, then reboot)
- Check new configs for all services
- Bring services back up one by one and watch their logs
- Update 3rd party installs of Drupal (minor version by minor version, plugins disabled during update), Horde
- Reconnect to network and watch logs for public services
- Test, test, test
As things happen and I discover or fix things, I'll update things. For those of you reading on LJ, check the main site for updates.
Section (old Drupal 7 content)